The Saint Helena Pound (SHP) was established in 1716 by the Governor and Council of the Island of St. Helena and is also used by Ascension and Tristan da Cunha. It is at par with the British pound sterling and divided into 100 pence containing three banknotes and eight coins. There are 4 series for the Saint Helenian pound, the first being from 1716, the second in 1917, the third in 1976 and the current version was created in 2004. From the 1976 series, the obverse of the St. Helena banknote portrays Queen Elizabeth II wearing Queen Victoria’s Collet necklace, earrings and sash with the Royal Family Order’s of Kings George VI and King George V. The portrait itself was taken by Anthony Buckley in 1966. In the 2004 series, a more mature Queen Elizabeth II’s portrait is used from 1992, this time taken by Terry O’Neill. The Queen is seen wearing a Burmese Ruby and diamond tiara with matching necklace.
The reverse of both series contains the East India Company Coat of Arms and is a representation of England’s colonial rule and depicts two larger lions holding flags of the Patron Saint George. A smaller lion stands atop the shield and is holding a crown. The words “AUSPICIO REGIS ET SENATUS ANGLIA” are written on the bottom and mean “Under the auspices of the King and Parliament England”. A coastal scene with a British ship and flag is also sometimes visible on some of the Saint Helena pound along with a large stylized denomination.
Subtotal: $0.00 USD