The Communauté Financière Africaine or CFA franc (CAF) was introduced in 1945 to the French colonies in Equatorial Africa and replaced the French Equatorial African franc. After gaining independence, the colonies remained using the currency. When the CFA franc was introduced, notes issued by the Central Cashier of Overseas France were in circulation. A new series of notes was introduced in 1947 for French Equatorial Africa, although the notes didn't have the colonies' name. The Institut d'Émission de l'Afrique Équatoriale Française et du Cameroun took over paper money production in 1957, issuing all previous denominations except for the 5000-franc bill.
In 1961, the Banque Centrale des États de l'Afrique Équatoriale et du Cameroun took over banknote production. The bank changed its name to Banque Centrale des États de l'Afrique Équatoriale in 1963. In 1968, 10,000-franc notes were introduced. In 1975, the bank name changed again, and the individual states began issuing notes in their names. This practice ended in 1993. Since then, the banknotes have been issued with only a letter noticeably displayed to identify the issues of the different states. Also, in 1975, Central African CFA banknotes were issued with an obverse distinctive to each participating country and common reverse similar to euro coins.