Danzig (Gdansk), the capital of Gdansk province, north-central Poland, is situated at the mouth of the Vistula River on the Baltic Sea. Danzig was first mentioned in 997 as belonging to Poland. It began its development as a trade center in 1260, upon the attainment of municipal autonomy. In 1308, the city was seized by the Teutonic Knights who held it until it was regained by Poland in 1466. It reached its peak during the Renaissance, becoming the most prosperous port on the Baltic. Danzig\\\'s decline began during the Swedish wars of the 17th century. In 1772 it was seized by Prussia and in 1793 was incorporated as part of Prussia. Napoleon granted it the status of a free city in 1807, which it didn\\\'t want because it had a German majority, and later was relegated to the province of West Prussia. From 1919 to 1939, Danzig again had the status of a free city. It was given to Poland in March 1945, following the defeat of the Axis powers. Polish currency is now in circulation.